Sure, we all age, but it’s what we do during the process (of living) that ultimately shows up on our face (and skin). It’s what you do now that will make the difference in how your skin reflects you, tomorrow.
Without a plan on how you’ll care for your skin as you get older, you will look your age and possibly older. There are things that you can do to prevent lines and wrinkles before you get them and reduce the appearance of existing lines once you have them. Here’s a 3-point plan to keep wrinkling at bay and look great no matter your age.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” -- Benjamin Franklin
First things first: Preserve and Protect
This step is by far the easiest, and you should begin immediately.
Look at your lifestyle.
Life habits interact with the skin, such as the sun exposure without protection, smoking, eating processed foods, lack of hydration, poor sleep routines, and alcohol consumption.
Do all that you can to ensure the health and well-being of your skin (the body’s largest organ). Start by using sunscreen daily, eating a clean diet, living a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, limiting alcohol and sugar consumption, exercising, and keeping inflammation down.
Modify your behavior.
Sipping from a straw, squinting in the sun or at a computer screen, puckering to smoke, or posing for selfies, and other repetitive muscle movements break down the collagen and over-extend the elastic tissue of the skin causes wrinkling.
Stop doing these things, or at least be aware of what can happen if you continue.
Products that actually work
Use the best products your budget can afford with ingredients that actually work for your skin’s health and beauty.
Fill in the wrinkles.
You want to use products that contain ingredients that are bio-available (penetrates easily and deeply) to your skin that naturally boost collagen production, such as retinols, glycolic acid and vitamin C serum. Each aid in thickening the deeper layers of your skin and thinning out the superficial layers.
Proper hydration affects the skin’s density and thickness. Avoid products that contain phthalates and petroleum. These chemicals can set up a layer of toxins that cut off your skin’s ability to breathe. This lack of oxygen defeats any moisturizing benefits from these products.
Hydrate and protect your skin with a high-quality daily moisturizer with SPF and peptides. Eye creams with peptides help keep the thin, delicate skin around the eyes hydrated and nourished. The skin on your neck should be treated as a separate area from your face. Moisturize to keep this skin hydrated so collagen and elastin can function to keep your skin taut and plump.
Procedures that work for you
Seek out skin care professionals for unbiased clinical recommendations that will help avert premature aging. With the right aesthetic tools and treatments, you can prevent or postpone lines and wrinkles from appearing.
Some solutions encourage the use of syringes with dermal filler or neuromodulators (Botox). However, there are several other options to consider, such as Microdermabrasion, Microneedling, radio frequency skin tightening, and laser therapies.
- Botox and other neurotoxins – manage wrinkles caused by chronic movements of underlying muscles by paralyzing them. Wrinkles relax and soften.
- Dermal Fillers – replaces lost collagen deep in the skin with volume. The extra volume pulls up the skin below for a smoother, tighter appearance.
- Microdermabrasion – everyone benefits from this exfoliation. It removes dry, dead skin cells, stimulates circulation and cell turnover to show the fresher and younger looking skin beneath, and creates an open door for product penetration.
- Microneedling – micro-perforations in the skin’s tissue creates a minor skin injury for penetration of peptide serums. Collagen and elastin production are stimulated, the skin thickens and wrinkles diminish.
- Radio Frequency – Heat is sent into the skin to tighten and shrink tissue and boost collagen which smooths and lifts the skin’s surface. The younger you are the more collagen there is to work with and the better the outcome.
- Laser therapies – thermal or non-thermal light energy activates regeneration of natural collagen, reduces fine lines, wrinkles and skin laxity beneath the skin’s surface.
Now that you have a wrinkle prevention plan, you may be able to put off the need for injections, fillers and devices a bit longer. Commit to a day-to-day regimen that includes a diet, exercise, sunscreen and home care and you will look great no matter what your age!